Oh dear whilst trying to increase the display speed of this site by eliminating all the external RSS calls to Friend Feed and Profilactic and then running a speed test
The test came up with:-
- TOTAL_HTML – Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 2 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
- TOTAL_OBJECTS – Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 56 – consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
- TOTAL_IMAGES – Warning! The total number of images on this page is 39 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
- TOTAL_CSS – Caution. The total number of external CSS files on this page is 5 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external CSS files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed CSS for high-traffic pages) on your pages.
- TOTAL_SIZE – Warning! The total size of this page is 1721970 bytes, which will load in 353.68 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider contacting us about our optimization services.
- TOTAL_SCRIPT – Warning! The total number of external script files on this page is 9 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external script files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed scripts for high-traffic pages) on your pages.
- HTML_SIZE – Caution. The total size of this HTML file is 66227 bytes, which is above 20K but below 100K. With a 10K ad and a logo this means that your page will load in over 8.6 seconds. Consider optimizing your HTML and eliminating unnecessary features. To give your users feedback, consider layering your page or using positioning to display useful content within the first two seconds.
- IMAGES_SIZE – Warning! The total size of your images is 1519785 bytes, which is over 30K. Consider optimizing your images for size, combining them, and replacing graphic rollovers with CSS.
- SCRIPT_SIZE – Warning! The total size of external your scripts is 120042 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your scripts for size, combining them, and using compression where appropriate for any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents.
- CSS_SIZE – Warning! The total size of your external CSS is 12398 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your CSS for size by eliminating whitespace, using shorthand notation, and combining multiple CSS files where appropriate.
- MULTIM_SIZE – Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.
Guess I will be heading over to Elance to get a coder to tidy it up for me for a tenner.
Never realised that Gordon Brown and his cronies at 10, Downing Street cared so much about me that they want to follow my tweets. 🙂 and by implication my blog posts too..
I’m not alone! Currently they have 208 followers and they are following 140 but with only 12 tweets so far.
Some way before they catch up with Barack who is following 18,718 and has 19,155 followers with 90 updates.
Perhaps they should do a Jason and hand out a Mac Air if they get 20,000 followers 🙂
Yesterday, after 3 years of construction, the second phase of the Grand Arcade project in Cambridge opened. The first phase, John Lewis opened in November 2007, the final phase, Cambridge’s new central library is scheduled for October this year.
Emily and I were there, taking lots of pictures especially of the Ribbon Acrobat team.
The queue for the Apple store (The fifteenth in the UK) was by far and away the largest and they gave away around 1000 T shirts in the first two hours, the T shirts were wrapped in a way that only Apple could do – very impressive packaging. I very nearly bought The Air but as a retiree I have to watch those thousand pounds disappearing 🙁
Apple as a retailer is simply amazing, the concept of every staff member carrying what is in effect a portable till so that they truly serve you with no additional queuing (even emailing you your receipt). Compare this to IKEA and John Lewis who force you to queue, just to pay for your object of desire.
Apple also offer a personal shopper scheme – where you get the undivided attention of an assistant for 1 hour to help you make your purchase. This coupled with the training evenings at the store is pretty awesome. In fact I think I will spend my money on buying some Apple shares!
The Grand Arcade seems to be a success for my (small) pension fund at USS (from when I worked at The Cavendish). At the opening I counted 18 of the 52 outlet spaces not let (35%). However, looking at this unlet area of 2225 m² against the total of the 52 store spaces available of 15,793m² it is only 15% by area unlet this reduces to 5% if you include the monster John Lewis store of 26,013m² (Although I notice that the John Lewis store could easily be removed from the main Grand Arcade if they so desired). So pretty remarkable for such a huge development in a provincial town of 120,000 folk.
Quentin and Chris have also done opening reviews.
I am trying to think what sort of retail shop I could open in the smallest unit available at 13m² any ideas out there?